Contributors: Vetstream Ltd

 Species: Feline   |   Classification: Miscellaneous


  • Pet passports are part of the EU Regulation on the movement of pet animals. Since the UK left the EU on 31st December 2020, Pet Passports issued in Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) are no longer valid for travel to EU countries or Northern Ireland. 
  • Instead, from the 1st January 2021, an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) is required.  
  • The certificate must confirm your pet's microchip number, the date it was implanted and record the rabies vaccination and blood test results. Blood tests following rabies vaccination are required for travel to the EU and for animals entering the UK from unlisted third countries (
  • Countries and territories that the UK will currently accept pet passports from are Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, and Vatican City.
  • Tick treatments are not legally required under the scheme. However, the BVA and BSAVA strongly advise that prophylactic tick treatment is continued.
  • You are responsible for making sure you have the necessary documentation for your pet to enter the UK. If you do not meet all the rules (See Pet Travel Scheme Pet travel scheme), your pet may not be able to enter the country or may have to be licensed into quarantine on arrival.
  • There is free movement of pets within the British Isles, including between the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. However, owners with travel documents for their pets are advised to take these with them when travelling with their animal. 
  • All pets moving between the UK and the Republic of Ireland should be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and accompanied by the correct documentation. As both countries have had no indigenous rabies for many decades, systematic border compliance checks on pets travelling between the two are not applied. However, it is important that the rules are followed to ensure trouble-free travel between the two countries. 

For the latest information on pet travel, visit: 

EU Regulation on the movement of pet animals

New Regulations December 2014

  • Minimum age of 12 weeks before rabies vaccination.
  • Owner, or owner's agent, must enter the EU within 5 days of their pet (if they are not travelling together).
  • New passports now have laminated strip and require additional contact details for authorising vet. However, existing passport remains valid for lifetime of pet - or until all spaces have been used up.

EU 3rd country certificate

  • For travel to the EU you will need a certificate detailing the pet owner and the animal including its microchip number, rabies vaccination and results of a post-vaccination blood test.  
  • The certificate is valid for 4 months from date of issue so your pet will need to return to the UK within this time. 
  • For more information, go to:

Qualifying countries